FAQs About Motorhome Hire | News | Abacus Motorhomes

FAQs About Motorhome Hire


As The Motorhome Hire Company, our team has the extensive knowledge to help you with all your motorhome hire enquiries. 

We also have over 30 years of experience in the vehicle hire industry, and so we have dealt with a vast number of situations and hire scenarios - we’re well equipped with hiring motorhomes and sending them across the country. 

That’s why today we’re going to be covering some of the most frequently asked questions regarding motorhome hire, providing a guide in preparation for your 2023 holidays! 

What questions do you have? 

What is the minimum hire period? 

Between the 5th September and the 30th June, the minimum hire period is 3 days. During peak summer (1st July to 4th September), the minimum hire period is 5 days. Please note that for certain festivals and events, we may increase the minimum hire period! 

Who can drive a motorhome? 

Anyone between the ages of 25-74! You will need to have held your licence for at least 2 years and have current driving experience. The licence you require depends on the type of motorhome you are looking to hire: 

  • Motorhomes up to 3500kg require category B or equivalent 

  • Motorhomes between 3500kg - 7500kg require category C1 or equivalent

You can pay an additional £12 a night in order to cover an additional driver. 

Where can I take a motorhome? 

Unfortunately we no longer allow our motorhomes to travel outside of the United Kingdom. 

However, we have wonderful guides to a range of beautiful motorhome destinations all across the UK, but make sure you are always visiting a designated campsite. You will not be able to park up and sleep on the side of the road, as the law suggests that you cannot park on a lot of land in England and Wales due to a lot of it being private. 

If you’re on the lookout for amazing and unique locations, motorhomes are allowed to stay overnight in National Trust locations! 

What documents will I need to bring with me? 

Each driver will need to bring the following: 

  • Driving licence 

  • National Insurance Number of Share My Licence Code 

  • Passport 

  • 2 forms of additional ID (showing current name and address, dated with the last three months) 

If visiting from outside the UK, you will need to bring: 

  • Driving licence 

  • Passport 

  • 2 forms of additional ID (see above) 

  • A contact address of where you will be staying in the UK 

Do you have any other additional questions? If there is more you would like to find out about, do not hesitate to get in touch with one of our expert team members. 

We can’t wait to see where your adventure will take you!